Elevator Constructor Apprentice
- Apr 07, 2017
Elevator Constructor Apprentice
National Elevator Industry Educational Program WELCOMES VETERANS and any other interested individuals to apply for our Elevator Constructor Apprenticeships.
The National Elevator Industry Educational Program accepts applications for Elevator Construction Apprentices periodically for the International Union of Elevator Constructors Local #133 Joint Apprentice Training Program for the AUSTIN, TX area.
Veterans and other interested applicants are encouraged to visit our website periodically to check for announcements for active and upcoming application dates.
Elevator Constructor Apprentices are responsible for assisting in the installation, maintenance, and repair of passenger and freight elevators, escalators, dumbwaiters, and moving sidewalks under the direction of a Mechanic.
Individuals must apply through an open recruitment and complete the recruitment process, which consists of an application, an aptitude test, and an interview.
Employment as an Elevator Constructor presents an extremely challenging, yet highly rewarding career to individuals with strong ambition, solid skills, and a willingness to learn. Our Apprenticeship Training Program provides highly qualified mechanics to an industry that insists on superior quality and craftsmanship.
This description is intended to describe the general content, identify the essential functions, and set forth the requirements for performance of the Elevator Constructor Apprentice position. Other duties may be assigned and this is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
1. Manually loads, unloads and moves materials, equipment and tools from vehicles to work areas. Requires lifting parts weighing up to 100 lbs.
2. Manually cleans elevator car tops, machine rooms, pits, rails, and hoistways within non-controlled climate field setting.
3. Manually paints machine rooms and pit.
4. Uses periods of high concentration and knowledge of elevator systems to assist Mechanic in electrical and mechanical installation, repair or service operations. Requires following written or verbal directions of mechanic and/or field superintendent. Requires color perception to distinguish color-coded wiring components.
5. Maintains elevator lighting fixtures.
6. Visually and audibly monitors equipment operation to determine faulty functioning. Requires ability to withstand heights and cramped working conditions.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age to apply.
- Applicants must possess and upload an original copy of a H.S. Diploma, H.S. Transcript, or GED with their online application.
- Applicants must pass an examination designed to test reading, math skills, and aptitude for employment in the elevator industry.
- Applicants will take a Tool Assessment designed to assess knowledge of basic tools and their use, as well as basic measuring skills.
- All Applicants must be capable of performing the physical requirements of the job without posing a threat to the health and safety of themselves or others.
- Upon selection, applicants must pass a drug test. (Paid by the employer)
- A photo ID must be presented during the application process.
- There is a $25 fee required on TEST DAY (ONLY A MONEY ORDER OR BANK CERTIFIED CHECK WILL BE ACCEPTED, NO CASH, NO PERSONAL CHECKS). Fee waivers may be requested and will be approved upon showing verifiable proof of financial need. The exam will be administered at a later date.
To view a list of Upcoming Recruitments visit: https://www.neiep.org/Careers.aspx To view active application periods click on the tab in the middle of the page marked "All Other Apprenticeships".
The National Elevator Industry Educational Program (NEIEP) offers craft training for all employees covered by the NEII Standard Agreement and the Otis Elevator Agreement. NEIEP effectively provides hands-on training utilizing labs, assorted training aids, text materials and video.
Some of NEIEP's main responsibilities are to manage and direct the implementation of curricula; design, administer and monitor Probationary Training and Evaluation Program for all new hires entering the trade; administer a Distance Learning program for eligible students; and for instructors - conduct beginning through advanced level seminars to improve teaching skills and techniques.
NEIEP designs, develops, updates, administers and monitors the Mechanic Examinations in accordance with the U.S. Department of Labor.
The Elevator Constructors are an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, age, military/veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, marital status, arrest record, genetic information, or any other legally protected status.